Case Study of a State University
In this detailed case study, you’ll learn how I created an international buzz, outranked major universities in search engines, and sold-out a summer filmmaking workshop in 4 months.
In 2011, our principal was hired by a university to provide marketing direction, strategy, and execution services for an international workshop for filmmakers.
The workshop was on the campus of the university and taught by over a dozen Hollywood movie directors, producers, visual artists, and actors. It included field trips to Hollywood movie sets and TV production studios. I was responsible for leading the marketing and communication teams.
In my role, I was responsible for the following areas of practice:
- Project Leadership and Team Management;
- Workshop Brand Identity Package Design;
- User Interface & Experience (UI/UX) Design + Development;
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO);
- Online, Radio & Print Media Planning & Buying;
- Public Relations (Releases, Briefs, Advisories, Interviews, etc);
- Social Media Marketing Campaigns & Promotional Contest;
- Marketing Management (Budgeting, Committees, Presentations, etc);
- and Web Analytics and Campaign Reporting.
Contract Engagement: 6 months
The university workshop was a new initiative. Upon auditing the project, I discovered one web page and one flyer from a previous failed attempt to launch the workshop initiative. The workshop required creation of a full brand identity system and production of new creative assets.
My team and I were given 6 months to build the workshop creative assets and marketing materials to promote the workshop nationally and internationally. Our marketing budget was $10,000.
We created a new brand identity system (logos, stationary, flyers, t-shirts, street banners, booth banners, print ads, etc) to maximize awareness and create a seamless brand experience. We conceptualized and launched an integrated communication strategy to promote the workshop across owned, earned and paid media channels.