Case Study of a Medical Device Company
In this detailed case study, you’ll learn how I increased their website conversion rate over 320% and saved the company $100,000 per month in TV advertising cost.
In 2013, our principal was hired by an agency to provide digital marketing direction, strategy, and execution services to a groundbreaking FDA-cleared medical device company. I was responsible for all things digital … owned, earned and paid media channels.
My responsibility was to chart the digital marketing strategy and direct the technical execution of the following areas of practice:
- Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO);
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO);
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM/PPC);
- User Interface & Experience (UI/UX);
- Email Marketing & Drip Campaigns;
- Social Media Marketing Campaigns;
- Content Marketing & Copywriting;
- and Web Analytics and Reporting.
Contract Engagement: 18 months
The medical device company was a start-up. Their website was the primary customer touchpoint and distribution channel. The secondary touchpoint and channel was telephone support. The company outsourced customer service to a call center. The agents were receiving customer complaints. Negative online reviews began surfacing about the company’s bad customer service policies.
The medical device company was spending over $100,000 per month on :30 second TV advertisements. As a result, their website was receiving a large amount of direct website traffic (people who type the URL directly into a search engine).
Their website was converting around 1% of the website visitors into new customers. The company’s customer acquisition cost was very high, the website was underperforming, and the TV ad expense was not sustainable.
My team and I were tasked with improving the digital experience, reducing the customer acquisition cost, building a digital footprint, and increasing revenue results as quickly as possible.
During the 18-month engagement, I directed a small team of web developers, graphic designers, content writers, and project managers to significantly upgrade the medical device company’s website and digital experience.
The upgrades we administered to their website were integrated into campaigns across owned, earned, and paid media channels.
- Digital Marketing & Brand Strategy — contributed UX/UI wireframe layouts, direct response content, creative assets, front-end coding, QA testing, and A/B split testing to build and modify home pages, product pages, information pages, communication systems, and checkout process for the medical device company’s website. My contributions resulted in a customer acquisition conversion rate increase to over 4.2% (a 320% increase in conversion rate).
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Services– administered best practice SEO services to increase the medical device company’s non-paid search engine results and traffic; contributed SEO audits, keyword research, SEO copywriting, UI/UX architecture, and SEO direction to team members for execution. My SEO contributions resulted in hundreds of new first page search engine result placements (SERPs) and tens of thousands keyword-relevant organic website visitors.
- Search Engine Marketing (PPC) Strategy — contributed campaign strategy, UX/UI wireframe layouts, copywriting, creative direction, front-end coding, QA testing, and data analysis for the development of five customer testimonial landing pages for PPC campaigns that converted between 2.69% and 7.14% of page visitors into new customers (more than a 630% increase from previous KPIs).
- Email Marketing Strategy & Campaigns – administered email marketing campaigns and contributed wire frames, copy writing, creative direction, landing page development, QA testing, and segmented distribution of the campaigns; created a series of email promotions that converted between 3.85% and 24.70% of page visitors into new customers. The email open rates were 95% higher than industry averages and the click-through rates were 47% higher than industry averages. The email campaigns were sent to 30K subscribers.
The results exceed expectations. My team and I substantially improved every key performance indicator (KPI) and increased all measures of success for the medical device company. We improved the their customer service communications, policies and systems to all but eliminate negative online reviews and customer complaints.